Binding’s latest (PUR) glue binding
When you need to crank up your adhesive bonding strength, you go for polyurethane reactive (or simply PUR) binding. It’s great for high use books and books that will be used for years to come like annual reports. As PUR Binding uses a similar technique to Perfect Binding (with a different glue of course!), PUR Binding requires the same 3mm spine grind.
So why choose PUR over Perfect? Not only is it extremely strong, we can also bind books with an all over varnish and full colour bleed into the spine of the text without the need to mask out or cut blankets. It also has better lay flat qualities and is excellent in hot temperatures.
The compromise? You’ll need to allow a good 24 hours for it to cure.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- If you have an all over varnish or full bleed into the spine, choose PUR binding
- Allow for an extra day (for the glue to cure) in your timeline
- A mixture of stocks can be used (up to 200gsm)
- UV Coating of text up to 170gsm can be bound using PUR. First and last leaf must have a print and varnish free area of 6mm + 3mm spine grind
- Coated art paper suitable for this style of binding
- Lay flat is excellent on lighter stocks
OFFSET MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM SIZES
|Minimum size untrimmed:||140 x 100mm|
|Minimum size trimmed:||130 x 95mm|
|Maximum size untrimmed:||445 x 320mm*|
|Maximum size trimmed:||434 x 310mm*|
|Minimum spine width:||2.5mm text (not including cover)|
|Maximum spine width:||80mm (including cover)|
*Maximum fore-edge size will vary depending on the height – please consult our estimators EG. A3 size products cannot be bound. As foredge size increases the maximum height decreases.